Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) for Mexican Citizens

3 min. readlast update: 03.29.2024

What is an eTA? 

An Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is a requirement for visa-exempt foreign nationals (excluding U.S. nationals) entering Canada by air (there are some foreign nationals from eTA expansion countries, like Mexico, that may be eligible to apply for an eTA). 

An eTA is electronically linked to a traveller’s passport. It is valid for up to five years or until the passport expires, whichever comes first.  If you get a new passport, you need to get a new eTA. 

An eTA does not guarantee entry to Canada. When you arrive, a border services officer will ask to see your passport and other documents (i.e. work permit paperwork).


Can I apply for an eTA if I am a Mexican Citizen? 

As of February 29, 2024, at 11:30 p.m. Eastern time, Mexican citizens who hold a valid US non-immigrant visa or have held a Canadian visa in the past 10 years and are travelling by air on a Mexican passport will be able to apply for an electronic travel authorization (eTA).

*NOTE: Regardless of having an eTA, Mexican citizens must still obtain an approved work permit before travelling to Canada to work at camp.


Is my eTA valid? 

*NOTE: If you are a citizen of Mexico and held an eTA before the Government of Canada's news release, as of February 29, 2024, at 11:30 p.m. Eastern time it is no longer valid. 

You may check the validity of your eTA by using this Check eTA status tool. 

An eTA will be vaild for up to 5 years or until the expiry of your passport (whichever comes first).


Do I need to apply for an eTA or a visitor visa in addition to the online work permit application? 

No. You do not need to submit a separate application for a visitor visa or eTA. Doing so does not speed up the processing time of your online work permit application or allow you to enter Canada to work.

Once your online work permit application is approved by IRCC, you will be issued a visitor visa. You do not need an eTA if you hold a valid visitor visa.


If I hold a valid eTA do I still need to submit an online work permit application, or can I apply for and obtain my work permit upon arrival in Canada instead? 

Citizens from eTA expansion countries are not eligible to apply for their work permit at the port of entry (POE). Since Mexico is now considered an eTA expansion country (as of February 29, 2024, at 11:30 p.m. Eastern time), citizens of Mexico have to apply online for their work permit. 

*NOTE: Please follow Camp Canada’s instructions to apply for your work permit online. Do not start an online work permit application independently if you would still like Camp Canada’s support. 


Was this article helpful?