Extending Your Time in Canada

2 min. readlast update: 05.30.2024

If you are looking to stay in Canada after your contract ends there are a couple of ways of doing this:

  1. Extending stay as a visitor - You can apply to change your status to allow you to stay in the country as a visitor. This costs $100 and is an online application check our Knowledge base for more information. Make sure to apply for this BEFORE your current status expires. Instructions on how to apply can be found below.
  2. Extending your current work permit - If you would like to continue working at your current camp, or your camp has offered you an extended contract, your camp must contact Camp Canada so that your current work permit can be extended.

An overview of extending your stay in Canada as a visitor:

A downloadable copy of this information can be found here

When you arrived in Canada, your work permit was processed with an expiration date. If you intend to remain in Canada as a visitor after this date, you must complete the process to extend your status as a visitor before your current status expires.

The Application Process

  1. Make sure to set up an account with IRCC if you do not already have one: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/account.html
  2. Complete the questionnaire: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/come-canada-tool.html
  3. Log in to your account and select ‘Visitor visa, study and/or work permit’. Enter your personal reference code from the questionnaire when prompted.
  4. Complete all application items (you may follow this link for further instructions). Application items may include:
  •  Application form IMM5708
  • Family Information Form IMM5707
  • Proof of Means of Financial Support - Documents to show that you can support yourself while in Canada (may include bank statements, pay stubs, letter from a person providing you with financial support, etc.)
  • Digital Photo

5.  Pay the associated fee ($100 CAD).

6.  Submit your application.

You must submit your complete application online before your work permit expires in order to benefit from maintained status in Canada.

Maintained Status in Canada

As a temporary resident in Canada, you may apply to extend your stay before your current status expires. If you submit your complete application online before your current status expires, your authorized stay in Canada is extended and you are considered to have legal status as a temporary resident in Canada while your application is being processed.

Please email any questions to workpermits@campcanada.ca




Was this article helpful?