The eTA Process

4 min. readlast update: 01.05.2024

Do I Need an eTA?

Yes. An eTA is an Electronic Travel Authorization and it is required for you to enter Canada via Air Transport.

This is separate from your work permit and everybody who is planning to come to Canada from a visa-exempt country needs one (besides Canadian & US Citizens), regardless of whether you are working or visiting. It is directly linked to your passport and it will cost $7 CAD to obtain. 

How to Apply for your eTA:

The process typically takes a couple of days to process, but we recommend applying for your eTA as soon as possible.

To complete the form, you will need:

  • Your passport
  • A credit or debit card
  • Your email address
  • Take a screenshot, or save a copy of your receipt if you're unable to physically print

You can apply for your eTA here

The eTA Application Process

You must ensure you complete the eTA application process carefully as any information listed incorrectly on your eTA application can lead to delays in your departure date to camp.

Please follow the instructions below when filling out your eTA application:

1) Select whether your passport is from Austria, France or any other nation.


2) Select Work as your plan to do in Canada. You will then receive the message at the bottom of the screen shot below. Please select 'If you know you don't need a work permit' as you will be receiving your work permit at the border and not before you enter Canada.


3) Scroll to the bottom of the webpage and select 'Continue to the eTA application form'. You will then be required to fill in your passport and personal details before continuing to the payment section.


Important: Your eTA must be linked to the passport you plan to travel to Canada with. If you are applying for a new passport, please wait for the new document to arrive before applying for your eTA. If you are applying for a new passport you must let us know as soon as possible at

For further support on how to complete this application, please refer to this Application Guide.

If you have not received a decision on your eTA application within 72 hours, or if you receive an email with a decision stating your eTA application has been refused, please contact

Can I use my eTA from a previous visit to Canada?

An eTA is valid for up to five years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first. If you are returning to camp or have visited Canada in the last five years you can check the status of your eTA to ensure it is approved by following the link here.

Checking your eTA status

When checking your eTA status you will need to provide the following:

  • Your eTA number. This number, which begins with the letter J, can be found at the top of the email you received when your eTA was approved. 
  • Your passport number, country of issue and the issue and expiry date of your passport
Note: The issue and expiry date relate solely to your passport and not a previous eTA

I received a message that my eTA has been cancelled

We are aware that several participants have received the following message whilst checking the status of their eTA for the upcoming summer:

Disclaimer: Please disregard the following information unless you have received the message that is captured in the screenshot above while checking a previously held eTA. 

We advise you to contact IRCC through their web form, which you can find here, and please provide them with the following information:

  • The full details of your eTA application
  • Exactly what your status is currently
  • The message you received

If you receive a reply that states your eTA is approved, we would advise you to print that out and carry it with you whilst travelling. 

Alternatively, you can also choose to reapply for the eTA, should you wish to do so. 

Note: Please be advised that we are currently in consultation with the Canadian Immigration authorities regarding the issue of cancelled eTAs and will update this article should there be an update.
Was this article helpful?