Travel to Canada

4 min. readlast update: 11.20.2023

When can I book my flight?

You can book your flights once your application has been moved to the 'Get Prepared' stage. Instructions on which airport to travel to and on what day can be found in the ‘Travel and Flights’ section of your account.

It is important not to book flights before this stage, as we may still be finalizing the details of your placement and we cannot assist with booking changes.

If you are moved to 'Ready To Hire' and 'Placed' before ‘Get Prepared’, you are still able to book your flights. If you are in the 'Ready To Hire' and 'Placed' stage it just means we are waiting for documents from your camp, once they have provided us with the information we need, you will be moved to the ‘Get Prepared’ stage.

Your Flight to Canada

You do not need to book a return flight before you come to Canada if you prefer not to. However, the immigration officer may ask what you plan to do after your period of employment and we encourage you to have a plan in place. You also may be asked to prove that you will have funds to remain in Canada as a visitor when your work placement is complete.

For Camp Canada first-time participants: When you upload your flight itinerary to the Camp Canada portal, you will be required to enter a 'return date'. Please enter an estimated return date, as this date will be used to generate your medical insurance policy.

Connecting Flight Through a Different Canadian City?

If you have a connecting flight in another Canadian city before reaching your destination, you will need to obtain your work permit at your port of entry (i.e. the first Canadian airport you land in).

While this is not a problem, it can often take some time to get through immigration at the airport. If you are considering a flight with a Canadian stopover, we recommend giving yourself 4 hours before your connecting flight however no timeline is guaranteed as it depends on how busy things are at immigration at any given time.

If you have already booked a flight with a Canadian stopover and you are concerned about the amount of time you have at the layover airport, reach out to your airline, explain your situation and see if it is possible to adjust your flight plan to accommodate a longer stopover or a stopover in a different country.

Generally, if you miss a connecting flight the airline will assist you and re-book you onto the next available flight - however, this is not guaranteed, especially with budget airlines like Air Transat.

Do I Need an eTA?

Yes. An eTA is an Electronic Travel Authorization and it is needed for you to enter Canada. This is separate from your work permit and everybody who is planning to come to Canada needs one, regardless of whether they’re working is just visiting.

It is directly linked to your passport and it will cost around $7 to obtain. The process time can vary so it's best to apply for this as soon as possible so we can support you if you run into any issues.

You can apply for it here.


After you have received your work permit, you will get your biometrics taken. Every foreign worker who enters Canada needs to get their biometrics taken. This can be done at the airport and will cost $85, so make sure you have that amount available to you when you travel. 

Biometrics are a requirement for you to enter Canada and they will be taken as you pass through immigration to obtain your work permit. The Biometrics process is a scan of your fingerprints and a picture of your face. These records are kept on file for 10 years so you won't have to re-do them when you pass through Canada for the next 10 years. 

Do I need a visa to work in Canada?

It is important to acknowledge the difference between a visa and a work permit. A visa provides you with mobility rights to travel to and enter Canada. A permit authorizes you to study or work in the country. 

If you are from an eligible country on this list, you will not require a visa to enter Canada.  


Was this article helpful?