Extending Your Stay in Canada as a Visitor: Overview

3 min. readlast update: 07.15.2024


The “Expiry Date” on your work permit is the date you must stop working in Canada. In most cases, it's also the date your temporary resident status expires in Canada. However, if there’s a “Must Leave Canada By” date on your work permit, then your status in Canada expires on the “Must Leave Canada By” date. You can locate these dates on the bottom of your work permit, as shown in the image below:

 If your temporary resident status expires before the date of your return flight home, then you must apply online with the Government of Canada to change your status from a worker to a visitor, as you will no longer have legal status in Canada once this expires. 

 You must complete and successfully submit your online application to IRCC before your current status expires so that you can benefit from Maintained Status, allowing you to stay in Canada until IRCC makes a decision on your application. Please be advised that Camp Canada cannot complete and/or submit your application on your behalf, nor has access to your IRCC account.

 If you do not submit your application in time, you will no longer be able to submit your application online, nor remain in Canada. Instead, you will need to travel to a US land border in order to re-enter Canada as a visitor.

 If you extend your stay in Canada as a visitor, this will allow you to stay in the country and travel; however, this will not allow you to work in Canada. If you would like to continue working at your camp, you will need to extend your stay in Canada as a worker. Please find further information on how to extend your stay as a worker here.


Ways to Extend Your Stay as a Visitor:

There are two options to extend your stay as a visitor:

  • Apply online: You can find instructions on how to apply online with the Government of Canada here or below. You must submit your application before your current status expires.

  • Apply at the border: If you are planning to travel outside of Canada after camp, before your work permit expires, you can also change your status to a visitor at the port of entry upon your return to Canada. Please make sure that you have all of the necessary documents that are required for your travels. 



The fee associated with the online application is $100 CAD. 


The Online Application Process Instructions:

A downloadable copy of this information can be found here

  1. Make sure to set up an account with IRCC if you do not already have one: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/account.html
  2. Complete the questionnaire: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/come-canada-tool.html
  3. Log in to your account and select ‘Visitor visa, study and/or work permit’. Enter your personal reference code from the questionnaire when prompted.
  4. Complete all application items (you may follow this link for further instructions). Application items may include:
    • Application form IMM5708
    • Family Information Form IMM5707
    • Proof of Means of Financial Support - Documents to show that you can support yourself while in Canada (may include bank statements, pay stubs, letter from a person providing you with financial support, etc.)
    • Digital Photo

5.  Pay the associated fee ($100 CAD).

6.  Submit your application before your temporary resident status expires.

*Please be advised that Camp Canada cannot complete and/or submit your application on your behalf, nor has access to your IRCC account.


Frequently Asked Questions:

Please see here for frequently asked questions about extending your stay as a visitor.

Was this article helpful?