Your Work Permit Guide

3 min. readlast update: 01.10.2024

Note: You do not need a visa to work at camp for the summer. You need a work permit which you will obtain when you land in Canada.

What does a work permit look like?


Your work permit should look like it does in the picture above. Please make sure of the following:

  • All details are spelt correctly (your name, the employer)
  • The dates are correct (date of birth, start and end date)
  • You must leave the airport with your work permit in hand

How do I apply for my work permit?

Obtaining your work permit is one of the most important steps on your journey. Without it, you can’t work in Canada and won’t be able to start your placement. The work permit process begins on our end before you leave as we must ensure that you have all of the documents you need.

Around 2 weeks before you leave for Canada, all of these documents will be made available to you on your Camp Canada account. You’ll need to download and print these documents and keep them with you throughout your journey as you’ll be handing them to the immigration officer upon arrival.

You must obtain your work permit before leaving immigration. If you do not receive your work permit, you will not be able to work at camp. Please contact us right away if you do not get your work permit before leaving Immigration at your first port of entry. 

When you receive your work permit, check that all of the information is correct before you leave immigration. Double-check your name, date of birth, employer, start date, and end date to make sure they’re all correct. Amending these details after you have left the airport is very difficult.

You will not be receiving your work permit before you travel. You will use the paperwork we provide you with on your Camp Canada portal to apply for and obtain your work permit at the first port of entry upon arrival into Canada.

If you have a connecting flight to another Canadian city before arriving at your final destination, it is important to note that you will need to apply for your work permit in your first port of entry into Canada. Your first port of entry is the first place you land in Canada. We recommend having at least 4 hours in between your flights to make sure you have enough time to go through immigration and obtain your work permit.

Do I need a work permit?

Yes, you will need a work permit to work at camp, unless you:

  • are Canadian citizens/permanent residents
  • already have a work permit such as the IEC Working Holiday Visa
Note: Some Canadian study permits may allow you to work as well.

How do I apply for my eTA?

Find out more information about the eTA process here,

Can I use my work permit for a different job in Canada?

There are different types of work permits in Canada. If you have an open work permit, such as an IEC, you can use this to work for different employers. However, if you have a closed work permit, this is specifically linked to your camp employer and does not authorize you to work for another employer in Canada.

Do I need a visa to work in Canada?

It is important to acknowledge the difference between a visa and a work permit

  • A visa provides you with mobility rights to travel to and enter Canada. 
  • A permit authorizes you to study or work in the country. 

If you are from an eligible country on this list, you will not require a visa to enter Canada.  


Was this article helpful?